Sunday, October 12, 2008

Real World Food Counterparts

I've been asked if all the characters on Chowder are named after food. Yes they are. Usually when I come up with a character for the show, I make a list of foods and try to find the name that seems to fit. And for those of you who were curious, here are the real world equivalents:

MUNG DAAL
Mung Daal is a thick, spicy stew made with the mung bean, sometimes spelled as "moong dal." The bean is used in a variety of Asian cooking. If you've had bean sprouts, then you've eaten mung beans. Originally Mung was going to have an Indian accent, but I decided against it early on.

Here's a picture of the bean.

And here's a picture of the finished daal dish.



ENDIVE
Endive is a type of chicory: a bitter, leafy vegetable. Belgian endive is considered kind of fancy. Combine bitter and fancy and it seemed to fit the character of Endive pretty well.



GAZPACHO
Gazpacho is a cold, uncooked tomato soup, sometimes chunky almost like a salsa. I dunno why it suited the character, but it fit right away.



GORGONZOLA
A veined, Italian bleu cheese. I hate bleu cheese. It's one of the few foods I dislike. So it seemed appropriate to use for a character that didn't get along with Chowder.