Tuesday, August 23, 2011

R.I.P. Cartman


My red rainbow fish Cartman passed away yesterday. He lived a good long life - nearly 10 years, which is apparently double the life expectancy of his breed. I don't get emotionally attached to fish, but looking at the now empty tank fills me with a little loneliness. His fat ass took up a good chunk of space in there. In fact, he had grown too big for the scooper net so I had to put a Ziploc bag over my hand and grab his slippery corpse. It was the first time I had really touched him other than the occasional finger brush when I would clean the tank. He had an unceremonious burial on the hillside. Some raccoon has probably dug him up by now... blech.

When my wife (then girlfriend) first met him, she asked me what his name was. I didn't really get into a habit of naming my fish, but he was a big red asshole who bullied the other fish and ate all their food, so "Cartman" seemed appropriate.

Cartman, I hope you're out there swimming in the great blue beyond.